Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Bike Ride

Dad taught by example. He was always giving us advice. One of his favorite sayings was..."Do as I say, NOT as I do."

Either the first or second year we were at the Ranch (about 1955 or 1956), Dad decided he was going to show the family how to ride a bike. He tied a rope to the bumper of the old Ford and then to the handle bars. Mom wasn’t too sure about the project but Dad insisted that she drive. We kids were all in the backseat watching. Everything went well at first. Through the back window Dad seemed to be having a great time as he smiled and waved at us. Then we reached the hayfield. The road was covered with fine powdery dust about 1 foot deep. As soon as the car hit the dust, we lost sight of Dad, he just disappeared in a cloud of dust. All at once he came out of the dust into the hayfield. Dad was doing fine until he hit the rock which knocked him off the bike. Mom drug the bike until we told her Dad had wrecked.

Fortunately, he wasn't seriously hurt but that was one lesson we learned well......"Do as I say, NOT as I do."

No comments:

Post a Comment