In 1964, Dad showed up and said we were all going to go to Yellowstone with Leo and his family and our cousin Art Cottam. Dad wanted to take some camp meat so he told me to go kill one of the lambs down in the pasture. I went and shot one in the head but before I could get over to it to cut its throat, it jumped up and ran off. It must have had a headache because it would run up and butt heads with the other sheep. I had to wait quite a while to find out which one I had shot since they all ended up having blood on their heads. Otherwise, I would of wiped out the entire herd. When Dad first brought the lamb out, Leo said he didn’t like it. It’s a good thing he didn’t because once Leo got started, he could have eaten the whole thing!
Steven and I bought some firecrackers in Wyoming. Art was with the two of us but he was smart enough not to buy any. Dad and Leo told us not to light any until we got home but the temptation was too great and we lit one off. By the time we got back to camp, the rest of the firecrackers had disappeared. We knew we were in trouble.
We all slept in the back of the pickup in a camper shell – Uncle Leo & Aunt Rena with their 5 and Dad & Mom with their 7 and Art. How we all fit, I will never understand. We all had a good time but were glad to get back home.
No comments:
Post a Comment